Friday, September 7, 2012

I Got Berried!: Strawberry Kolsch

First off, apologies, it has been too long since my last post.  Ed and I both moved, so we've been spending more time transporting beer and equipment than using it.  I did get married though, and we made beer for it, so have I got a post for you!

What to make, what to make, what to make?  Liz and I have a handful of Battery Brewing beers that are important to us. One of our first dates was to pick strawberries so that I could brew with them.  Our first kiss was after a homebrew release party for a Blood Orange American Wheat Ale.  The list goes on, but I'll spare you the mushy stuff.  But this presents a quandary for any homebrewer, when you're brewing for a special event, how do you decide?  What's on your mind?

Do you do something new and bold?
Do you do something you've done a bunch before and are fairly confident in?
Will you get bottle blowups from over-carbonation with everyone in their nice clothes?
What happens if it doesn't turn out?  
Should I brew separate batches to plan for the worse?
What if people don't like it?
Do I need to provide cups so people don't get the yeasties?
What if I get floaters in there?
Am I giving myself enough time for it to mature?
Fruity, dark, hoppy, bitter?
No one's going to touch it, right?

I worry a lot.  I should have it checked out.  Does anyone else secretly dread a big event they're sharing a beer or do you embrace it fully?

We chose a Strawberry Kolsch that I've been brewing with Ed every year since I've met Liz.  It is very drinkable when it works.  It is reasonably drinkable when it doesn't.  It is light and refreshing, so it transcends even inexperienced pallets.  And it is a brew I'm particularly proud of.

It also means we get to go on a You Pick 'Em Adventure!  Ed and Lex joined us.  (We actually pit-stopped at the Flying Barrel to pick up homebrew supplies on the way...or out of the way, depending if you're Ed/Kevin or Liz/Lex)

Liz and I en route to berries...Tip #1, wear red, so you don't stain your shirt
Tip #2, Wear your Flying Dog T-Shirt, and you get compliments on it all day.  

Ed and Lex on the hay ride to the berries

Still happy with each other, even after the field work
Our first foray with this brew, we used a Weizenbier kit with Kolsch Yeast.  The next year we experimented (full on Kolsch kit, speciality grains, timing of strawberry addition, secondaries), but we found that the first year we got it mostly right, so we tried to recreate it.  We've been trying to move beyond traditional kits lately, to both be more adventurous and save coin, and the homebrew store doesn't always have the kit you need!  We used a Kolsch yeast,  3.3 pounds of LME, 1 pounds Pilsen DME, and 2 pounds wheat DME.  We used about 1 pound of strawberries at about 40 minutes, then 2 pounds at about 50 minutes of a 60 minute boil.  We used a mix of both sliced and pureed berries.  We also boiled with sliced/juiced lemon to give it a bit more sour flavor, and in our experience the lemon brings out the flavor of the strawberries.  At 35 minutes we used a 1/2 ounce of German Magnum hops at 50 minutes for bittering, and 1/2 an ounce of US Perle hops at 55 minutes for aroma.
Ignore my awesome hair
Lemon peels dropped into the boil


We used sliced and pureed, surface area
and strainability in mind
 
Since they're being added late in the boil,
we cook the berries to get rid of any bacteria
If you haven't built a wort chiller for cheap yet, do it now!

Filtering out the pulp

 
We let it ferment, which started in about a day and half and completed after about 5 days.  On day 6 we added about a pound of pureed berries in for the secondary, and let it sit for another 3 days.  Then we bottled, using a mixture of honey and priming sugar, let it do its magic for a week, then started doing the nervous taste testing.

Pureed berries boiled for the secondary addition
It was pleasant after a week, and even better after 2 weeks.  I was very excited it appeared to have turned out!

Now for the presentation!  Of course, this is for a celebration!  Check back next week for some great information on how we made labels, attached them to bottles, and decided on the beer selection for the wedding.  I never labeled my beers before, so the designing was fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment