Monday, December 26, 2011

Beer Advent: Round 2

Our apologies to anyone who has been eagerly awaiting the follow-up posts, but we've been sidetracked by the holidays.  Fret not, we've also brewed a Cocoa Nib and Vanilla Bean Cream Stout and have had some Untappd adventures we'll get into in another post.
So starts off the next sixer of advent.  As you might remember, the day before, Ed gave me Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale, which had a chocolate lab on the front, and this one had a old black lab on it.  One of the uncanny beer advent happenings.

This day we actually hit up Total Wine to go grab the Pepper Porter.  We were hungover from the night before, as we had a taste craziness.  Much to our luck, Yards was there, doing a tasting.  Ed and I tasted their full line, and were pretty impressed...we were also a little buzzed afterwards.  The most interesting, in my opinion, was a Spruce Tip offering that had a nice pine taste to it instead of hops.

Stoudt's Fat Dog Imperial Oatmeal Stout Review:

Bring on the Stouts.  I've had a lot of respect for Stoudt's since I had their Karnival Kolsch a couple summer ago yet I never seem to target their brews, probably because I basically never see them on draft only at Total Wine.

This beer was exceptional.  It had almost no head, which i found a bit odd and it was a little bit thin to the pour but not the to the taste.   The aromas and flavor were great.  Tons of roasty chocolate and coffee smells hitting my nostrils.  Black as used 5W30 and just right on the boozy undertone.




Day 8:  Battery Brewing Chocolate Trappist

Battery Brewing Chocolate Trappist Review:  I knew there was a possibility that homebrews could be mixed in to help offset overages on spending elsewhere.  I just was hoping they didn't exist.  Not that they aren't good, because they are (well, most of 'em)...but because it isn't something new to taste.  I actually tried to open this one up in the taste-before-i-unwrap method, but that turned out to be a mess as there was one of those homebrew explosions you sometimes get.  The beer was good, what was left of it in the bottle after it overflowed.  With that said, I was excited to get on to the next beer, and was hoping that the rest were all newbies.



21st Amendment Back in Black Black IPA Review: 

This wouldn't have been my guess in terms of overlap but it makes sense Kev would pick an IPA for me that I would also pick for him given our similar tastes.  

I thought this was a good brew but not stellar.  I do respect 21st Amendment and dig their stance on cans.  The black IPA style just isn't as inviting to me as a traditional IPA but it is a nice change of pace. The roast and the hops seem to compete for flavor but conceded to exist in a nice balance.  


Ed and I had a lot of discussions on how many we'd repeat.  We agreed we probably would match each other on at least one, two tops.  Much to our surprise, we matched up back to back on Back in Black.  Ed did his best to disguise the can as a bottle (tricky tricky), but my re-arranging of the six packs in the fridge dented his disguise.



21st Amendment Back in Black Black IPA Review:  This beer was great.  It was good enough for me to grab for Ed, so it is surely good enough for me to want to drink.  I had actually had this beer in a make-your-own-6-pack almost to check out, but put it back when we went all in the Punkin' keg.  I couldn't come home with both 1/4 a keg and singles.  It was dark and roasted, with hints of caramel and it came out of the can really nicely.  I'm a big fan of 21st Amendment, and they didn't disappoint.  



I had come in under target during our first trip, so on my way back from Thanksgiving, I picked this bomber up to round out.  I always feel like I'm underpaying for Laguinita's stuff, as this bottle was only like $4.50.  I've paid more for 12 ounce bottles I've enjoyed less.  I put them in at the end of Ed's 1st 6 pack.


Laguinita's Imperial Stout Review: 

The big guy.  The big Lagunitas Imperial Stout.  What a value.  An excellent beer to sip over a hour or two or to share during a meal.  There is a humbling and slight burn of alcohol after you swallow but its not at all undesirable.  The beer is rich and big on flavor but doesn't forget to remind you of what it could do to you when overindulged.   There are other much better Imp Stouts but this one seems to do just as it set out to.  Big buzz, big flavor, big bottle.







Founder's Centennial IPA Review:  I was excited for this beer.  Everyone loves Founder's Breakfast Stout.  I've never tried anything else by them.  I didn't love this beer though.  It was excessively hoppy, and way too aggressive in my opinion.  I was actually surprised beer advocate hands it one of the best ratings they give out.  I boil it down to two things causing me to give it low ratings, and because of these two, I'd try it again, and am not writing it off just yet.  The first, I'm not a big IPA fan, and I'm still developing a taste for some of the more intense ones.  The second, somewhat related to the first, IPA's are not the most drinkable of beers, especially intense ones, so you have to be in the mood for one.  Where a pale ale or an amber is non-offensive, and you can easily throw them back whenever, an IPA you sort of have to be ready for.  The surprise of the un-wrap did not prepare me for it, and I just wasn't in the mood for one.  So yes, I give it low marks, but I can appreciate what they were doing, however aggressive it was.  If I saw this on tap somewhere, I'd give it a go.

1 comment:

  1. I think my favorite part of these posts are seeing what's in the background of Kevin's pictures. Like photos of me and my mom and me and my grandmother behind Back in Black ;o)

    ReplyDelete