Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Beer Advent: Round 3

So we're back again.
I grabbed this guy because it was a low priced barleywine, and Ed and I love barleywines.  I've had Red Tail by this brand before, and it wasn't anything memorable.  My nerves got to the best of me though as Ed was holding a 4-pack the day we went back to Total Wine for the Pepper Porter.  Luckily he put it back down.

We actually got together the night of this beer, had a Dogfish Faithful big bottle, and shared a 2010 Samuel Adams Infinium with Matty, our neighbor.  Good night.

Mendocino Imperial Barley Wine Review:  

Mendowhata.  I think Kevin chose the shock and awe approach for my 12 pack.  Picking many of the heaviest hitting beers that he could find, especially some he hadn't heard of.  

This was really an average barley wine.  I wouldn't seek this beer out and I'm not sure if I'd try Mendocino again unless the brew looked truly inviting and interesting.  Although my gut tells me this would probably be a value play similar to the Monster Barley Wine by Brooklyn.  Just not refined enough for my tastes.  





I went to my grandparents today.  We got back here at 11:00 pm, and I was ended up getting the sniffles pretty badly.  I had defer this beer to a couple days later, since I took some Nyquil.  A 10% beer with Nyquil only does unbearable things, I think.



Samuel Adams Wee Heavy Imperial Scottish Ale Review:  I liked this beer, though it was just a "Wee Heavy".  It poured like motor oil.  It had almost no head after a minute of sitting.  It reeked of smoky peat.  It was great!  I could barely finish the one though, it was so strong.  



I had already had one of these, buying one when we did beer selections.  Wish I had it at Thanksgiving.

Harpoon Grateful Harvest Cranberry Ale Review: 

This beer had great color i thought.  It was slightly translucent with a nice pleasant cranberry hue.  First cranberry brew I've tried and I'm glad it was by Harpoon as I like most of their brews and find them readily available in the area.  

This beer did not have amazing flavor.  Meaning it was full of flavor but i wasn't really blown away by it.  It was fairly tart and the level of cranberry was akin to the level of apricot in Magic Hat #9.  

Overall I found it refreshing with nice body.  Would accompany a nice Wawa Gobbler quite well.  







I knew a Barleywine was on its way at some point, and excited to see it once it did.  Ed used to have one of these in his fridge, and I never got a chance to taste it, so it was nice to cross this off the list.



Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot Barleywine Review:  This beer was nice and spicy, and a little different than most Barleywine's I've tried.  I liked it, and haven't had too much Weyerbacher up to this point.  Would easily reach for this one again.




Ed and I didn't overlap too much on exact beers, but we did overlap in brands and styles.  This is the closest we came to overlapping, though when counting 3 beers instead of two.  The Sam Adams Wee Heavy Imperial Scottish, the Founders Centennial, and this the Founders Scottish.  Anyways, just an observation from someone who enjoys analyzing data.  

Founder's Dirty Bastard Scottish Ale:  

I don't often find myself dabbling in Scottish Ales or Wee Heavy style brews.  I guess this would fall at the top of the heap.  Heck c'mon it is Founders.  It poured somehow darker than i was expecting and had a pretty creamy head with a good amount of carb.  

The flavor was seriously scotchy.  At times a sip would be reminiscent of a boilermaker from my Philly days on Spruce Street with my boy Donny.  

If you're feeling cold this'll warm ya right up.  




So I knew Ed bought this one.  The cashier at Total Wine loudly called for a price check, and I was behind Ed, looking away from his beers as he checked out.  Thanks jerk, thought everyone know the seriousness of what was unfolding that day.



Weyerbacher Winter Ale Review:  I really liked this beer.  This is up there with Avery's Ellie's Brown Ale in my favorites so far.  I don't normally like winter ale, but this one was robust and malty.  There was a faint watery taste, but it didn't hurt it.  The head stuck around in the glass, and it was really a nice cold weather beer.

Just one more installment!  How quickly beer advent has slipped away.

No comments:

Post a Comment